The stage of La Milanesiana in the city of Alessandria, scheduled – with free and free admission, in compliance with current anti-pandemic regulations – on the evening of July 13th at 9 pm in piazza Giovanni XXIII is focused on aspects very connected to the beauty, the potential, the attractive power and the importance of this city: both for its past history and for its ability to look and open up to the future.
The figure of St. Francis of Assisi – who, among other things, passed through Alexandria around 1213 and who – thanks to the popular skill of Vittorio Sgarbi – it will be analyzed with a Lectio entitled “San Francesco nell’Arte”. A choice by no means casual, because it was designed to enhance what most connects this city to the Holy Friar: the Monumental Complex of the (former) church of San Francesco, built by the Alexandrians precisely to honor this passage and the great ecclesial, religious and cultural movement of the Franciscans.
The works to build the church and the adjoining convent – one of the most significant examples of Italian late-Gothic architecture – took place between the 12th and 14th centuries. In 1802, with the suppression of religious orders by Napoleon, the complex of San Francesco was assigned to the Cavalry Barracks and, in particular, the church was divided into two floors while the ancient convent became the seat of the Dragons of the King. In 1833 , the convent itself was transformed by Carlo Alberto into a Military Hospital and maintained this destination until 1989.
Today the entire complex, owned by the municipality, is the subject of a grandiose redevelopment (financed with regional and European funds under the POR FESR 2014-2020 with the project “Alessandria Torna al Centro. Logistic-cultural center of a vast area “) and provides for the conservative restoration and re-functionalization as a museum of the Church. The building as a whole has in fact a floor area of approximately 3,500 square meters and the overall cost of the project, already financed, amounts to 7.8 million euros.
The goal is to transform the monumental complex into a museum that hosts the historical, artistic and archaeological collections of the city and is equipped with technologically advanced systems and multimedia installations, also hosting important cultural and tourist incentive activities.
The evening will host a contribution of refined musical elegance by maestro Edgardo (Dado) Moroni, internationally renowned jazz player and holder since 2017 of the chair of jazz piano at the Vivaldi Conservatory in Alessandria as well as at the Haute Ecole de Musique in Lausanne and teacher in many other Masterclasses all over the world.
“The Milanesiana returns to Alessandria – comments the President and Creator of La Milanesiana, Elisabetta Sgarbi – and this stage in our journey, a very long journey, has become an indispensable moment in the life of this exhibition. The Milanesiana this year touches twenty-five cities and Alessandria could not miss, with which an excellent relationship and a union has been established that was materially sealed with the cathode monument to Umberto Eco created by Marco Lodola, presented and inaugurated during the Milanesiana of 2019 “.